Monday, January 16, 2012

Traditional French Bread: Round 1

Tonight I'm attending a sit down dinner party with some friends that are making goulash (Dr. King's favorite, supposedly) and I decided to attempt to bake a nice crusty french bread to accompany the meal, Im making two small loaves using this simple recipe 

The first loaf is cooling now, I think while not perfect, it doesn't look too bad !



I used a spray bottle to mist the oven periodically to create steam, and I think that helped the crustiness factor a great deal.  It sounds hollow and is crusty on the outside.  I wish it was a bit more brown..I noticed it wasn't browning well, so I added a real light egg wash on top for the last 3 mins of baking. (28 mins total time, by the way)  The next loaf is shaped and proofing now, I think ill add the egg wash earlier on to get a better color.  Stay tuned! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment