Monday, January 23, 2012

Blueberry Zucchini Bread and Challah attempt #1

Sorry for the late post, but the other day I was able to have another guest baker with me, fellow culinary student, John Constantino. (you can find his blog here..its pretty awesome) I intended to do a quick bread as well as a enriched yeast bread (Challah) The former came out well, however the Challah didnt have the texture I was looking for in an eggy dough of that nature. First the good news:


This bread was a simple recipe and it turned out extremely moist and delicious. It is a tad bit dense, but all in all, not a bad loaf. Would be excellent for a quick breakfast or a mid morning snack :)

The challah loaf was a bit tricky. The dough didn't seem to rise properly for some reason, and the result was a more dense bread than I was looking for. The second and most obvious problem with this loaf is the lack of the very deep, very dark uniform brown sheen on the loaf. I did a heavy egg wash, however in retrospect, perhaps an egg yolk only wash would do better?  Also john and I attempted to do a "turban loaf" braiding technique, but we gave up and ended up sorta doing a "ghetto turban loaf" :) It did taste pretty good though...  Anyhow I will be doing this one again later in the week for sure. Expect prettier results!



Still had a great time baking with a good friend. Guest bakers are always welcome! Let's take this baking journey together, guys! =)

Final products of the evening:


Stay tuned later in the week for  more challah! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment